Saturday 20 August 2011

BF 4 5 6

Arrived at boat and decided a reef in the main and small jib was called for as the light breeze over the jetty was a strong breeze over the open water.Thewater level was as low as I have ever seen it.As explained in an earlier post the prevailing wind drives the water either out or into the fiord with some alarming rates in the deep water channels.
So set off with a following wind, not ever having reefed Toy Box I did some trials on the different points of sail..She sailed well and was a dream to handle in the F6 that was now blowing. I am ever more impressed by the Jidzo design I get the impression that without the keel she would make a very fast dinghy if one could raise the centerboard ! Ok to windward she is a bit "wet" from the oncomming waves but otherwise she sails very well. I had my laptop on today plus my handheld GPS, both units were showing speeds of just over 6knts at some stages and hard on the wind in a F5 I logged over 5knts..
Like all other things there is always a drawback..Today it was the race fraternity. Between the two larger areas of the inner Schlei there is a small breakthrough what basicly was a viking foritification, this tight spot is about 150 meters wide but is very shallow at the edges and the deepwater channel is max 50 meters wide, So imagine the problem I was sailing closehauled on a stbd tack reefed in a F4 when from port a racer was aproaching on a port tack.. he and his crew started shouting at me to get out of the way!!! I thought this over and decided that tacking into the shallows was not an option and held my course. The air was "blue" I was asked unkindly if I could not see they were "racing" I off course answered politely that I was not racing, but that I was on a stbd tack and was not in the position to change course..and that I was also not going to worry about them damaging my boat as it was fully insured! The reply is not going to be posted here..laugh !
I awaited a "protest" when I returned to the jetty but nothing was said..

All in all a brilliant days sailing, sun wind and a decent beer at the end of the day !





No comments:

Post a Comment