Wednesday 10 August 2011

How it all started

It´s a long story, so I shall start somewhere around the time of my aquiring Toy Box. I had moved to the north of Germany for work and personal reasons. After finding a small flat to rent I moved in, quickly making frineds as I did so with the owners who lived on the ground floor.
I had recently had a "burnout" and was a bag of nerves and not the person I used to be. ( I am still to date suffering the result of this).
Horst (his name) was an ex German airforce pilot of 72 years of age. Also a keen watersports man in his day. He had owned several boots and at that time owned a small outboard fishing boot. He shortly afterwards sold this boat and bought the Jidzo I now own.
I sailed her with him from her old moorings on the Schlei, to Flensburg where she was to spend the rest of the season of 2009. I was given free hand to sail her when ever I wished and this I did as often as possible.
My illness was very dehabilitating and organsing anything at all was very difficult. Anyone who has or is suffering from depression will know how I felt at this time. I still have problems even now 2 1/2 years later, and am still learning to live with it.
Towards the end of 2009 Horst was very ill and he asked me if  I wished to take the boat over. I jumped at the chance..
I took her out of the water in October 2009 and she went into drydock at a local Polyester (fibreglass) firm. Here she was to stay for 20 months untill I was able to refloat her for the 2011 season in June. During her time in drydock I did a lot of work on her repairing poorly fitted or broken pieces as well as replacing running rigging and cables. Peter I would like to thankyou for all your help during this period. I would never have carried on without your help ! I aslo purcahsed an old (1988)  Yamaha 4hp outboard motor..
During this period Horst had decided that at 74 his time was come and he ended his life in Oct 2010 leaving me feeling somwhat empty , it is strange how friendship can grow so quickly between people. Everyone said he was a hard man to get on with. I found him friendly and informative as well as being a good confidant, who enjoyed a wry sense of humour. I will miss him and hope that he is looking down at me as I sail Toy Box.
So that is basicly the story without all the trimmings..

No comments:

Post a Comment